Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year everyone!

This year I am setting some "SMART" goals, that is goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and tangible.

Assess my starting point:

  1. Calculate my ecological footprint for 2006 (using calculators here, here and here.)
  2. Measure the killowatts my appliances consume using the Kill-a-Watt meter.

Set targets for reducing my footprint in 2007:

  1. Honor my pledge to reduce my fossil fuel consumptions by 2.6% based on the recommendations of the Oil Depletion Protocol.
  2. Find out what the recommendations are for reducing my carbon footprint to prevent global warming.
  3. Meet that goal with a combination of emissions reduction and offsets.

Set up a way to track my progress:

  1. Make a spreadsheet with all the variables.
  2. Set up a timetable for when to measure my results.
  3. Track cumulative numbers and percentages to see if I am on target.

Be accountable:

  1. Post my goals (in terms of percentages).
  2. Post my progress (in terms of percentages).
  3. Network with other people who are doing the same and offer my support.

I invite you to join me! Together we can make a difference.

No comments: