Here are a few highlights:
- the Colonial delivers 100 million gallons of many different kinds of gasoline and other fuels a day
- the oil moves at 3 to 5 mph, taking 18.5 days to get from Houston to New York
- it costs about 2.5 cents per gallon to transport it
- statistically, pipelines are the safest method of transporting oil
- problems usually occur when there is digging near the pipeline
The AJC did not have any articles today about the impact of Rita on local gas supplies or prices today, but we are assuming there will be problems. My local Shell station is still out of gas, though prices are down to the $2.59-2.89 level at many places. I'm not stockpiling gas, but I did fill up my tank today.
I guess we'll have to just wait and see how the story unfolds.